Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research) at the HELP University, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, and CEO of the HELP Academy.
- Bachelor of Social Sciences (Hons) from the University of Singapore in 1970,
- MA from McMaster University in 1971
- PhD in Political Science from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1977.
- Distinguished Fellow of the Malaysian Armed Forces Defence College (MPAT)
- Malaysian Institute of Diplomacy and Foreign Relations (IDFR)
- Institute of Public Security of Malaysia (IPSOM.
- Board member of the Malaysia – America Foundation (MAF), 2014-2017.
- Prof. Zakaria has taught at the University of Malaya, the Science University of Malaysia
- National University of Singapore,
- Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM)
- At UKM, he was Dean of Social Sciences and had also headed Political Science and Strategic Studies
- University of Ohio (where he held the Tun Abdul Razak Chair, 2000-2003).
- Prof. Zakaria has published extensively on politics and international affairs of Malaysia, ASEAN and the Asia-Pacific.
- An active sportsperson, he served 6 terms (2005-2018) as a Vice-President of the Olympic Council of Malaysia (OCM).
- Member of the Council of the International Gymnastics Federation (FIG) for 3 terms, and was President of the Malaysian Gymnastics Federation for 35 years until his retirement in 2013.
- Professor Zack served in the Askar Wataniah (Territorial Army) and was the Commander of Regt 514 with the rank of Colonel.
- He is currently an Honorary Captain of the Royal Malaysian Navy.